About this postcard
Theater Square is the heart of Klaipėda city. There is a sculpture of Ann from Tharau in the middle of the fountain at the centre of the square. The fountain with the sculpture of the girl and the bas-relief of the poet were created in 1912 by a sculptor from Berlin – Alfred Kune. During World War II, the sculpture disappeared. It was reconstructed in 1990 on the initiative of the city inhabitants and emigrants. The building behind the sculpture is the Drama Theatre. Since the 18th century, the theatre has played an important role in the cultural life of Klaipėda. This building was reconstructed in the 19th century in the neo-classic style.