Blansko is a town in Blansko District in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. Blansko is the biggest town in Blansko District. Blansko was mentioned for the first time as a castle in 1141, while a town began to develop near it by 1277. After 1766 it belonged to the Salm family, which patronized many artisans and scientists. Blansko today has many factories, including chemical and construction plants. The town is notable for the proximity of the Moravian Karst.