A postcard from Ashburn, VA (Laura)
  • A postcard from Ashburn, VA (Laura)
  • A postcard from Ashburn, VA (Laura)
  • A postcard from Ashburn, VA (Laura)

A postcard from Ashburn, VA (Laura)

6 548Km

Date of dispatch : 2011-04-07

Country: USA

Ashburn was originally called Farmwell (variant names include Old Farmwell and Farmwell Station) after a nearby mansion of that name owned by George Lee III. The name Farmwell first appeared in George Lee's October 1802 will and was used to describe the 1,236-acre (500 ha) plantation he inherited from his father, Thomas Ludwell Lee II. A section of Farmwell plantation west of Ashburn Road, a 580-acre (230 ha) tract, was purchased in 1841 by lawyer and almost vice-president John Janney, a Quaker, as a summer home. John Janney called the property Ashburn Farm (first known written use is 1870 when he sold the property). It is likely he named the farm after family friends named Ashburn.